Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Holy Life

Saint Padre Pio of Pietrelcina
Patron of Civil Defense Volunteers and Catholic adolescents
Feast day – September 23

“I will stand at the gates of Heaven and I will not enter until all of my spiritual children are with me.”
Padre Pio

Saint Padre Pio was born on May 25, 1887, in a village of Pietrelcina in Italy. He was the fourth among the seven sons of peasant farmers, Maria Giuseppa de Nunzio and Grazio Forgione. He was baptized Francesco in honor of St. Francis of Assisi.

At the age of sixteen on January 6, 1903, he entered the novitiate of the Capuchin Friars at Morcone and took the Franciscan habit and the name Pio on January 22, 1903. He was ordained priest on August 10, 1910, at Benevento but because of poor health, he was sent home until 1916 when he entered the friary of San Giovanni Rotondo.

On September 20, 1918, Padre Pio experienced a mystical occurrence. While praying before the cross, a red spot appeared in the middle of his hands accompanied by a sharp pain that went through the soles of his feet. The wounds were similar to the wounds of Jesus when he was crucified on the cross – stigmata. Word spread about Padre Pio and pilgrims came to see him.

Padre Pio spent the whole day hearing confessions. He was instrumental in the conversion of many. It is said that he had a gift to bi-locate, levitate, and heal sickness by just his touch. He founded the Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza (House of the Relief of Suffering) on May 5, 1956, to alleviate the sufferings and difficulties of many families.

Padre Pio’s health deteriorated in the middle of the 1960’s but he continued his daily masses and hearing confessions. The day before he died, he said Mass with a very low voice that he could hardly be heard by the people. In the early morning hours of September 23, 1968, he made confession and renewed his vow of poverty, chastity, and obedience. He passed away at 2:30 in the morning of the same day at the age of 81


Sources for this article were taken from:  Editorial - Manila Bulletin Feast of St. Padre Pio, September 22, 2011, 11:58pm,



Prayer

Gracious God, you generously blessed your servant, Padre Pio, with the gifts of the Spirit. You marked his body with the five wounds of Christ Crucified, as a powerful witness to the saving Passion and Death of your Son, and as a stirring inspiration to many people of your infinite mercy, forgiveness and love.
In the confessional, Padre Pio labored endlessly for the salvation of souls. Through his powerful intercession, many who suffered were healed of sickness and disease. Endowed with the gift of discernment, he could read people’s hearts. From the blood of his wounds came a perfumed fragrance, a special sign of your Holy Presence. With dignity and intense devotion, he celebrated daily Mass, inviting countless men and women to a greater union with Jesus Christ, in the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist.
Through the intercession of Saint Pio, I confidently beseech you to to grant me the grace of (state your petition here). Help me to imitate his example of prayerful holiness and compassion, so that I, too, may faithfully follow the Risen Lord, and one day rejoice in the Kingdom, where you live and reign forever and ever. Amen.

St. Padre Pio – Pray for us


St. Padre Pio’s prayer for Jesus’ presence

Stay with me, Lord, for it is necessary to have
     You present so that I do not forget You.
     You know how easily I abandon You.

Stay with me, Lord, because I am weak
     and I need Your strength, 
     that I may not fall so often.

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my life, 
     and without You, I am without fervor.

Stay with me, Lord, for You are my light,
     and without You, I am in darkness.

Stay with me, Lord, to show me Your will.

Stay with me, Lord, so that I hear Your voice
     and follow You.

Stay with me, Lord, for I desire to love You
     very much, and always be in Your company.

   Stay with me, Lord, if You wish me to be faithful to You.

   Stay with me, Lord, for as poor as my soul is, 
        I want it to be a place of consolation for You, a nest of love.

   Stay with me, Jesus, for it is getting late and the day is coming to a close, and life passes;
        death, judgment, eternity approaches. It is necessary to renew my strength,
        so that I will not stop along the way and for that, I need You.
        It is getting late and death approaches,
        I fear the darkness, the temptations, the dryness, the cross, the sorrows. 
        O how I need You, my Jesus, in this night of exile!

   Stay with me tonight, Jesus, in life with all its dangers. I need You.

   Let me recognize You as Your disciples did at the breaking of the bread,
        so that the Eucharistic Communion be the Light which disperses the darkness,
        the force which sustains me, the unique joy of my heart.

   Stay with me, Lord, because at the hour of my death, I want to remain united to You,
        if not by communion, at least by grace and love.

   Stay with me, Jesus, I do not ask for divine consolation, because I do not merit it,
        but the gift of Your Presence, oh yes, I ask this of You!

   Stay with me, Lord, for it is You alone I look for, Your Love, Your Grace, Your Will, Your Heart,
        Your Spirit, because I love You and ask no other reward but to love You more and more.

   With a firm love, I will love You with all my heart while on earth 
         and continue to love You perfectly during all eternity.    Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment