Saturday, October 6, 2012

Gospel Reflection



October 06, 2012
First Saturday
Memorial of the Blessed Virgin Mary
by Rev.  Fr. Nilo Mangussad (Rector Our Lady of Peace Quasi-Parish)
Dawn Mass at EDSA Shrine, Our Lady of Peace Quasi-Parish


Reading 1 Jb 42:1-3, 5-6, 12-17

Job answered the LORD and said: I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be hindered. I have dealt with great things that I do not understand; things too wonderful for me, which I cannot know. I had heard of you by word of mouth, but now my eye has seen you. Therefore I disown what I have said, and repent in dust and ashes.

Thus the LORD blessed the latter days of Job more than his earlier ones. For he had fourteen thousand sheep, six thousand camels, a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she-asses. And he had seven sons and three daughters, of whom he called the first Jemimah, the second Keziah, and the third Kerenhappuch. In all the land no other women were as beautiful as the daughters of Job; and their father gave them an inheritance along with their brothers. After this, Job lived a hundred and forty years; and he saw his children, his grandchildren, and even his great-grandchildren. Then Job died, old and full of years.

Responsorial Psalm Ps 119:66, 71, 75, 91, 125, 130

R. (135) Lord, let your face shine on me.
Teach me wisdom and knowledge,
for in your commands I trust.
R. Lord, let your face shine on me.
It is good for me that I have been afflicted,
that I may learn your statutes.
R. Lord, let your face shine on me.
I know, O LORD, that your ordinances are just,
and in your faithfulness you have afflicted me.
R. Lord, let your face shine on me.
According to your ordinances they still stand firm:
all things serve you.
R. Lord, let your face shine on me.
I am your servant; give me discernment
that I may know your decrees.
R. Lord, let your face shine on me.
The revelation of your words sheds light,
giving understanding to the simple.
R. Lord, let your face shine on me.

Gospel Lk 10:17-24

The seventy-two disciples returned rejoicing and said to Jesus, "Lord, even the demons are subject to us because of your name." Jesus said, "I have observed Satan fall like lightning from the sky. Behold, I have given you the power 'to tread upon serpents' and scorpions and upon the full force of the enemy and nothing will harm you. Nevertheless, do not rejoice because the spirits are subject to you, but rejoice because your names are written in heaven."

At that very moment he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, "I give you praise, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike. Yes, Father, such has been your gracious will. All things have been handed over to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son and anyone to whom the Son wishes to reveal him."

Turning to the disciples in private he said, "Blessed are the eyes that see what you see. For I say to you, many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, but did not see it, and to hear what you hear, but did not hear it."


HOMILY

When we have accomplishments in our life, we usually celebrate it with a feast. Pumasa sa bar exam, handaan. May ipinanganak at binyagan, handaan. We enjoy and rejoice in feasts, most especially if we accomplish a difficult task. But the Lord Jesus is reminding us, not just to seek feasting after accomplishing a goal. It is very important that we have this wonderful relationship with our Father in heaven, who is the very reason why we are able to accomplish our Herculean tasks. It is our relationship with God that makes us accomplish so much.

How many of us would visit the adoration chapel, much less attend the mass, or spend some time in the altar of our homes, whenever we accomplish a goal? How many of us would spend some time to thank the Lord for what we have accomplished?

My brothers and sisters, the parties we have, last for hours. The time we spend with the Lord takes only minutes. It is good to be reflective of what we are doing in terms of our relationship with God. Because we might be forgetting the importance of our relationship with Him - that we spend only minimal time with Him. Just like Job, who had so many sufferings, trials and difficulties in his life, we should be able to praise God and have that wonderful relationship with the Father, that we may have true fullness of life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment